77 Reasons to Hire Shine
Shine Band. Professional Entertainment for Your Special Event in Boston and around New England
1. Our New England wedding band is no part-time garage project. Everyone in Shine has a professional background in performance, arranging, and recording. Plus, we all sing... very well!
2. This is our day job, our night job, and our weekend job. Boston’s Shine wedding band is made up of dedicated, full-time musicians, not weekend warriors. We can focus the whole of our energy and attention on your special event because music is all we do.
3. How many other wedding bands around Boston, Ma. (or elsewhere) can boast that they’ve played over 1,400 weddings and parties? Unusual venues are not an issue—we’ve played in mansions, restaurants, historic sites, tents of all sizes, porches, beaches, boats, barns, backyards, and in almost every possible weather.
4. Shine members have appeared live with Peter Wolfe, The Temptations, Carly Simon, James Brown, ’Til Tuesday, Delbert McClinton, Natalie Cole, the Fabulous Thunderbirds, Roberta Flack, James Montgomery, The Berklee College of Music Faculty All-Stars, Aretha Franklin, Santana, Johnathan Edwards, Rebecca Paris, Bronson Arroyo (formerly of the Red Sox), and more. Now that’s a resume!
5. The members of Boston wedding band Shine love working together, and the proof is right there on the packed dance floor at every party we play.
6. We feature both female and male singers playing a variety of great music. Listen to Shine perform over 50 songs at the Hear Us Play page on our website at www.ShineBand.com. These songs were recorded live. Brides, grooms, and guests who have heard the band at a wedding from Rhode Island to Massachusetts to New Hampshire remark how close we sound to the original artists.
7. There is nothing like quality live music at a wedding. We can actually be quieter and take up as much space as a DJ.
8. Partnering with a wedding vendor or event service provider can be complicated, but we do everything we can to make working with Shine easier for everyone involved. With us, what you see is what you get. We don’t believe in hidden costs or nasty surprises.
9. Our standard contract is pretty basic, and we never ask our clients to sign away their rights or agree to any unusual contract demands. We are very flexible and accommodating.
10. Not too big, not too small, Boston’s Shine wedding band is just right for almost any size venue. We’ve played for crowds of more than a thousand people and we’ve played for one gathering of just 13.
11. We know from experience, however, that the most intimate venues may not accommodate a full band with a full selection of instruments in tow. Need a smaller group for your event? We can work something out.
12. Musicianship is the hallmark of great wedding band, and all the members of Shine play multiple instruments as well as read and write music. When we play a song, it sounds like it was meant to sound. Songs can be abbreviated or lengthened to better fit your wedding timeline.
13. Boston’s Shine wedding band has a seriously huge song list. Take a look at www.shineband.com/songlist.htm . Party tunes, current Top 40, Classic Hits, Motown, 80’s music, Calypso, Classic Rock, Jazz, swing, Latin music, soul music, country—you name it!
14. You might not believe us if we told you how many songs we do know, but every now and then we get requests for first dance songs, cake cutting songs, or father daughter dance songs that we don’t know. If your special request overlaps with a gap in our repertoire, we’re glad of the opportunity to learn a new number!
15. Sick of waiting to hear from party bands in New England that never seem to return your calls? When you call John Harris, Shine’s bandleader, he’ll either answer the phone right then and there or phone you back ASAP.
16. The same goes for your e-mails. We know that we are one of the premier wedding bands in Boston, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and New Hampshire in part because we answer questions and respond to comments as soon as they arrive in our inbox.
17. Weddings and other special events can be stressful whether you’re planning them or playing at them, but Shine never loses its cool. We’ve never met a party crisis that couldn’t be solved with politeness and professionalism.
18. We beat out other party bands in Boston by arriving on time, every time, and giving our all until our time is up.
19. Forget about wedding bands and party bands that double book, forget your event details, or can’t be bothered to pronounce your name correctly even after you correct them. We know we have to be organized because we want our clients to trust in our ability to make their weddings and other special events awesome.
20. The Shine band has performed at almost every reception site and special event venue in MA, RI and NH. Need a suggestion where to have your party? Check out http://www.shineband.com/newenglandreceptionsites.htm for some ideas.
21. We’ve gone through floods and blizzards to get to a client’s event venue or wedding reception site when other live bands in New England were holed up at home. Sometimes it’s felt as if we were in an action adventure movie! We always do our best to make the weather a non-issue for the brides, grooms, and hosts who are relying on us.
22. Shine has performed outside in 95 degree temperatures as well as on porches or tents directly next to snow.
23. We’ve even played in a leaky tent during a thunderstorm because our core philosophy is that the show must go on.
24. In other words, we are the New England wedding band that will show up, no matter what. Our reputation for reliability is one of the hallmarks of our group, and we want to continue to impress clients with our dependability for years to come.
25. It’s important to have a proven Plan B, especially if the weather can affect your ceremony or cocktail hour. We are experienced wedding planners that can help design several options. Some of our favorite outdoor weddings have taken place in Newport, R.I., and Cape Cod, Ma., as well as in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.
26. Since when is party planning an exact science? Shine knows that the one thing that never changes in the wedding and event entertainment industry is that nothing ever stays the same! Your plans may be different from one minute to the next, but our plan—namely, to provide great entertainment for your party—will stay the same.
27. We know that when you hire a live band or wedding band, you want to hear as much live music as possible. And honestly, we want to play as much live music as possible! We’ll only take two breaks during a four hour performance—and they’re pretty short breaks.
28. When Shine takes a breather, we make sure to keep the party going with excellent pre-recorded music. During the first break, we usually play something easygoing, and then it’s up-tempo dance music during the second so no one leaves the floor.
29. With so many weddings and special events under our belts, Shine is proud (and a little shocked) to say that we haven’t yet met a function director or reception site manager that we didn’t like. And they like us, too, because we adapt to the venue instead of asking the venue to adapt to us.
30. We don’t call ourselves the New England wedding band for nothing! Chances are good that we’ve played at your event or reception venue at least once, whether it’s in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, or Maine.
31. To be counted among the top Boston wedding bands—and we are—you have to know where to park in the city—and we do.
32. If we haven’t played your venue, you’re still going to get great sound, since we’re experts at adapting to venues that are very acoustically challenging. We know how to make small spaces, large spaces, and oddly-configured spaces work for us.
33. Wedding venues and special event reception sites have rules and restrictions regarding volume, set-up, and timelines. We follow them all. There are two reasons: One, we want our clients’ events to unfold as smoothly as possible. And two, the next time we play a venue, we want them to be happy that it’s Shine and not some another live band.
34. Working with event centers and reception sites pays off—we hear over and over from venue managers that they hope to see us come back very soon.
35. In fact, Boston’s Shine wedding band is a preferred or recommended vendor at countless wedding venues around New England. Other wedding and party professionals know that we’re talented and trustworthy because they’ve seen us in action.
36. We try to examine every venue from the point of view of the bride and groom or host when planning our performance strategy, because when we look good, they look good. That’s why we, unlike most other live bands in New England, bring our own lighting set-up.
37. The members of Shine also dress to impress. Unless you tell us you’d prefer that we dress casually, we will play at your wedding or party in tuxedos and evening dress because we like to keep things classy.
38. Shine knows that more volume doesn’t mean better music, especially when you’re hosting an intimate event. You want loud? We can do loud. But unlike other party bands, we can also do quiet.
39. The best live bands and dedicated wedding dance bands know how to read a crowd, and adjust their playlists accordingly. Shine is one of those bands, which means that we know when to fade into the background and when to work our magic to get guests onto the dance floor.
40. Shine members can also be your wedding ceremony musicians, whether you want to seat your guests and walk down the aisle to the accompaniment of a flute, an acoustic guitar, or both.
41. Need cocktail hour entertainment? No problem! Our excellent guitar and sax duo will set the mood with the right tunes. They feature a mix of jazz, swing, Latin, pop and calypso instrumental music.
42. Our reputation can’t be beat. We post reviews from past clients on our website for the entire world to see, and we’re happy to provide references. Shine knows we’re one of the best Boston wedding bands, and we want you to know it, too.
43. You can’t play over 1,400 weddings and parties in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and new Hampshire without learning a little something, so Shine might just have the answer to a wedding planning dilemma. Feel free to ask us for vendor recommendations.
44. We have a fabulous wedding planning timeline worksheet we can pass along. Being a band that’s familiar with how almost every New England wedding reception site or venue operates can really come in handy.
45. What kind of music does Boston’s Shine band play? It would be easier to tell you what kind of music we don’t play. Any genre a live band can play, we play and play it well.
46. Jazz and swing enthusiasts take note: Great jazz and swing is one of our specialties!
47. We’re one of the best wedding bands in Boston, Massachusetts because we’re so versatile, and one of the things that makes us so versatile is our amazing sax player. There’s a lot you can do with a standard rock quartet made up of a vocalist, guitarist, bassist, and percussionist... there’s a lot more you can do when you add in a saxophone.
48. Or a trumpet! When a big band sound is what’s called for, Shine can break out the horns.
49. Even without the extras that make us great, Boston’s Shine wedding band isn’t a one-trick pony. When we say we have great singers, we mean great singers who can sing any style. And our guitarist, among his many talents, plays a serious blues guitar.
50. The live band you hire should always respect your wishes by playing songs that are in keeping with your vision of the perfect party. Boston’s Shine wedding band is easy to work with because we let you take the lead. We play the music that you and your guests want to hear, not our favorite songs.
51. Shine has experience working alongside wedding DJs and other musicians at events that called for multiple entertainers. It’s a small world, so there’s a good chance we’re already acquainted with whoever else you choose to hire.
52. Hiring a live band in New England will almost always be more expensive than hiring a wedding DJ (or plugging in your iPod), but think about what you’re getting for your money. And when it comes to hiring us, you’re not just getting great sound, but also the benefit of our musical talent and our experience.
53. And yet we still offer rates that are lower than those charged by many other Boston wedding bands! Please tell us about your event at our Contact Us page and we’ll get you a quote right away.
54. We know that parties sometimes last longer than expected, Shine offers a very reasonable overtime rate.
55. As full-time music professionals, our goal is to stay booked all year round, so we offer significant discounts on many dates. Ask about our off-season rates and you may be happily surprised that your wedding or other affair is eligible.
56. We love to book non-Saturday engagements, and we show our appreciation for our Friday and Sunday hosts and couples with a sweet reduction in our rates. Holiday parties and corporate events from Providence, RI to Boston, MA and New Hampshire are included.
57. Devoted Idol fans know that one of the worst things Randy Jackson can call a vocalist is “pitchy” because it means that they’re singing so loudly that it throws them off key. Shine’s vocalists are never, ever pitchy. We’ve trained too long and we practice too hard to make amateur mistakes.
58. Brides, grooms, and hosts hire live wedding bands and party bands because they want their guests to have FUN, which is why we play to make your party fantastic, not for our own glorification. In other words, it’s your event, not a concert, and we don’t treat it like one.
59. Our song list is one of the most comprehensive in the wedding band business. From the blues to big band, from calypso to country, if you request it, we can play it. Keep in mind that our song list represents the highlights of our repertoire—there’s just not space enough to list all the songs we know.
60. When the music stops, you still benefit from our professional-quality equipment. Whether we’re using our wireless mics to emcee (if you want us to) or you’re using them to make the perfect toast, everyone at your wedding or special event will hear what’s being said.
61. Since we’re already at the mic, we can keep your event running smoothly by making announcements, introducing VIPs, and alerting guests to things like the cutting of the wedding cake or the best man’s speech. We can say as little or as much as you’d like, and we never sound like an annoying game show host.
62. Shine is a reliable, fun, versatile wedding band from the Boston area that performs in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire and New England.
63. Boston’s Shine wedding band’s ability to get big sound from small equipment means that we draw less power, (even when we’re outdoors) making us an economically- and ecologically-friendly choice.
64. Some live bands balk at playing out of doors, but not us! We understand the logistics of playing under trees, under tents, in the sun, and in the shade so the entertainment at your outdoor event is as polished and perfect as that at an indoor affair.
65. There’s nothing worse than a wedding band that plays all the cheesy numbers we all love to hate. If you tell us that you’d prefer to keep the clichéd dance songs to a minimum, we’ll stick to classic hits and current crowd pleasers.
66. Sometimes clients provide a Do Not Play list... and we abide by it, no matter what.
67. It’s true, however, that the best laid plans are often the first to fall apart, so Shine can be as flexible as you want us to be. Our years of experience have taught us that switching styles is sometimes necessary to keep the party going, and what works at one wedding won’t always work at another.
68. The final say where playlist limitations are concerned are yours. The band can concentrate on your particular party songlist and styles as well as read the crowd and call songs accordingly—which is an art in itself.
69. Not sure what song to dance to with one of your parents? Shine can help! We can suggest a great range of appropriate parent dances and first dances. Take a look at our list of suggested dances.
70. The members of Shine love to talk shop, so if you guests want to chat about music or the entertainment industry we’re happy to oblige. During our breaks, of course.
71. The Shine band has played at almost every possible weddingreception site and party venue on Cape Cod.
72. Your guests are going to like that you opted for a live band over a DJ or your iPod, and they’re going love that you chose Boston’s Shine band because we play for every guest, not just the hosts or the younger crowd. Our playlists will always include songs that appeals to a wide range of age groups and musical tastes.
73. We go above and beyond when we play at a wedding or other special event because unlike many wedding bands, we’re happy to let a guest play or sing with us (if you’re okay with us doing so). The more, the merrier, as far as we’re concerned.
74. Every live band worth their mics will learn and play your favorite song, but only Boston’s Shine band will learn and perform a song you or someone you know wrote. All you have to do is ask.
75. Some live bands in New England and elsewhere only play oldies or dance music. Shine knows all the best current and classic music, and is always learning new songs so we never have to say no to a request.
76. And here’s something else we don’t do: Stop playing between songs. Too much dead air between one number and the next can clear the dance floor in a hurry, which is why we tastefully transition from one song to another as smoothly as possible.
77. Finally, the number one reason to hire the best live band in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Rhode Island: We don’t rely on gimmicks because we don’t have to. Our musical talent, our ability to keep a party or wedding reception flowing smoothly, and our commitment to making our clients happy is truly the key.
Check our availability, pricing, and get more information to help you plan your special event!
Reliability is crucial in every phase of preparing for and performing at a wedding or special event. Shine has a great reputation of helping plan, execute with needed spontaneity -and we know what to avoid so that all you have to do is just show up and enjoy yourself! Our past clients say it best, feel free to read what some have said about working with us.
The band is compact enough to play in many venues that have space restrictions. We maintain appropriate volume levels at all times. Working with the challenging acoustics and logistical difficulties of estate sites is a specialty. Our band appreciates being included on their preferred vendor lists and works hard to keep a solid reputation. Shine has also performed at plenty of large facilities such as the MDC Hatch Shell on the Esplanade, the Hynes Convention Center, the Museum of Science and many corporate events including over a thousand guests. We have also been fortunate to play at a few noteworthy corporate events in California and Washington, D.C. (luckily we didnít have to drive).
To get more of an idea where Shine has played in the Boston area as well as New Hampshire, Cape Cod and Rhode Island please see our venues and wedding reception sites page.